Saturday, January 24, 2015

Why aren't Democratic clubs supporting Steve Schulte?

Question: Why have most of the LA Democratic Clubs (except for the Northeast Democrats) endorsed Steve Schulte’s opponent in the LACCD race?

Well, it’s perplexing. For one thing, I have been a strong, progressive Democrat since Yale. Is this a secret? I knew Michael Harrington (Social Democratic Party of America) and Allard Lowenstein (liberal Democratic congressman from New York) and I was a very good friend of Wallace Albertson (deceased; past President of the LACCD) for nearly thirty years. My Democratic influences and associations have been impeccable.

Also I served on the City Council and as Mayor of West Hollywood for six years. That’s certainly a liberal credential.

When I asked a few party chairs----including the political officer for the LA County Democrats-----about this I was surprised at their responses. They said that they thought the current incumbent was doing “an adequate job”. What did that mean specifically, I asked. They said they could not think of anything specific.

Thus, after my experiences and some reflection, I have concluded that the Democrats voted reflexively for the status quo. And what is the “status quo” for the LACCD? Underperforming colleges, nearly 50% of the faculty is halftime (which means fewer classes for the students), subpar oversight for the District’s considerable finances, far too few counselors for students (a ratio of 719:1) and so on. Impressive, no?

There was no deliberation, no room for the input of new ideas from me. On this basis, the clubs could have dual-endorsed or voted “no endorsement----which is what the Northeast Democrats did.

On top of this lack of clear deliberation, the clubs joined the Faculty Guild (teachers’ union at LACCD) and other unions in dumping a reputed $325,000 into this race to support their slate of four candidates. That is their choice. But what is that choice based on? Further, this is pretty dispiriting to a lifelong FDR-Democrat.

So, I see foulness at work. I see a lack of thoughtfulness, creativity or commitment to this race. No wonder voters become apathetic. No wonder students at LACCD get short-changed.
But I will watch, listen and I will think for myself. The clubs have at least given me that opportunity. I will be a tough and independent voice on the LACCD.

On that YOU can depend.


Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment