Thursday, January 22, 2015

Why aren't Democratic clubs supporting Steve Schulte?

Question: Why have most of the LA Democratic Clubs (except for the Northeast Democrats) endorsed Steve Schulte’s opponent in the LACCD race?

Well, it’s perplexing. For one thing, I have been a strong, progressive Democrat since Yale. Is this a secret? I knew Michael Harrington (Social Democratic Party of America) and Allard Lowenstein (liberal Democratic congressman from New York) and I was a very good friend of Wallace Albertson (deceased; past President of the LACCD) for nearly thirty years. My Democratic influences and associations have been impeccable.

Also I served on the City Council and as Mayor of West Hollywood for six years. That’s certainly a liberal credential.

When I asked a few party chairs----including the political officer for the LA County Democrats-----about this I was surprised at their responses. They said that they thought the current incumbent was doing “an adequate job”. What did that mean specifically, I asked. They said they could not think of anything specific.

Thus, after my experiences and some reflection, I have concluded that the Democrats voted reflexively for the status quo. There was no deliberation, no room for the input of new ideas from me. On this basis, the clubs could have dual-endorsed or voted “no endorsement----which is what the Northeast Democrats did.

On top of this lack of clear deliberation, the clubs joined the Faculty Guild (teachers’ union at LACCD) and other unions in dumping a reputed $325,000 into this race to support their slate of four candidates. That is their choice. But what is that choice based on? Further, this is pretty dispiriting to a lifelong FDR-Democrat.

So, I see foulness at work. I see a lack of thoughtfulness, creativity or commitment to this race. No wonder voters become apathetic.

But I will watch, listen and I will think for myself. The clubs have at least given me that opportunity. I will be a tough and independent voice on the LACCD.


On that YOU can depend.

1 comment:

  1. Steve Schulte ... how do you really feel? :) I am breathless here at your statement above. Besides the fact you master the hell out of the English language (which is always a big turn on to people like me - numb skulls) I also feel a bit perturbed at this whole situation. The scenario above is just one of so many reasons I left the democratic party years ago and aligned myself with myself. That is irreversible. I love trashing both parties will equal vigor. It is no wonder at all that you are a great mind & a great voice for the misbegotten. I moved to West Hollywood as a youngster in 1984. That is the year West Hollywood incorporated as a city, so I have had a front row seat to your political career and thank god for you and your powerful ways & means. West Hollywood and all great cities with great people (more or less) owe you a great debt. I am behind you all the way, metaphorically speaking. Thank you. Scott Utley, Topanga Canyon, CA US of A.

    ReplyDelete